WOW! Storm season is definitely upon us here on the East Coast of Australia. Yesterday the Gold Coast, Ipswich and Brisbane were hit with hail, winds and rain. It is important in this kind of weather, that your roof is storm and weather proof!
You can read more about how to storm proof your roof here and how to prepare your roof for the storm season.
After the wild weather last night, we had a call from a customer who had several roof leaks overnight.
The roof requires urgent repairs as it is currently leaking and is not currently watertight. The reasoning is:
1. There is leaf litter and buildup in the valleys and gutters which is forcing water to backflow up under the roof tiles and into the roof cavity.
2. Broken tiles and cracks in ridge capping mortar are allowing water entry into the roof cavity.
3. Valley tiles have becomes dislodged and have slipped into the valley iron, the water cannot flow down the valley towards the gutter, then backflowing into the roof cavity.
The solution to fix these issues and what we recommended to the customer:
- Remove and replace approximately 12 broken Clark roof tiles
- Re-bed ridge caps where required to be able to repoint ridge caps
- Re-point all ridge caps, approximately 65Lm, using Shieldcoat flexible pointing mortar (10 year product guarantee)
- Re-fit slipped valley tiles and fit valley clips to prevent tiles slipping in the future.
- Clean out all valleys and guttering free of leaf debris and buildup
You can see that these issues can cause major roof havoc and water issues. The repair cost is minimal compared to what the cost of water damage and the bill to replace internal plaster, and electrical wiring could be if damaged. Your roof is your homes most important asset. Ensure it is watertight to protect you, your family and belongings!
If you have a water leak, get your roof inspected now - before its too late and water damage to your home occurs! Speak to us today, if you would like a free roof inspection and advice on whats best for your home.