ROOF LEAKS THROUGHOUT HOME
We attended this south Brisbane home last month, after the owner reported that the homes ceiling had multiple water stains and mould issues throughout the home.
The existing roof tiles are terracotta tiles and the roof had no sarking installed. Sarking is a protective second skin under your roof tiles that is now industry standard to install when builiding a home. Sarking will protect your roof cavity from storm driven rain and dust, improve its thermal performance, help it resist bushfire ember attack and reduce the risk of harmful condensation. In older homes, sarking was not installed as it was not building standard to do so.
We also found that the tiles water course (see photo above on left) had dirt debris buildup on it, this does not allow water to flow down the tile watercourse to the guttering, it then backflows into the roof cavity. As well as this, the existing ridge capping mortar was cracked and also letting water into the roof cavity. Without sarking, these issues were causing these major roof leaks and issues.
WHAT DID WE DO TO FIX THESE ROOFING ISSUES?
We installed roof sarking to the existing terracotta tile house roof. The process is:
- Removed all existing tiles and ridge capping
- Removed all timber battens
- Supplied and installed heavy duty roof sarking to entire roof cavity
- Relaid all roof battens
- Relaid all existing roof tiles, including ridge caps (all tiles were dusted down, to eliminate the dirt debris before reinstating)
- Replaced approx 30 x broken roof tiles
- Rebed and repointed all ridge capping using a combination of bedding mortar and flexible pointing mortar (this now eliminated one of the roof leak issues)
A watertight roof, to give the owners peace of mind. Especially with the upcoming storm season, these repair works will ensure that this home is 100% leak proof.
If you need roofing advice, feel free to contact us we would be happy to assist - either via our contact form online or phone our Gold Coast office 075598 6037.