Have a leaking tile roof?
Is it aged over 15 years?
Are the water stains to the ceiling random and spread throughout the home?
Its likely the cause of the issue is leaking tile clips.
We attended a home today, who were experiencing water stains to their ceiling throughout their home. These stains were growing in size each time it rained and were causing significant ceiling damage. On inspection of the roof, it was evident that the roof leaks are coming from leaking tile clips. The internal water stains to the ceiling being throughout the home are consistent with this. These tile clips are well known for leaking and the only way the issue can be resolved is the tile clips are removed and new style tile clips installed. In its current state, the water is being absorbed by the insulation batts and then the moisture is occurring on the ceiling in the roof cavity.
In terms of overall roof maintenance, the following was observed:
These maintenance issues may seem minor, but if left untreated will contribute to major roof leaks and more damage and loss to property.
Tiled roofs require regular maintenance. We recommend having your roof inspected every 12 months to ensure the following:
- ridge capping mortar is not cracked or deteriorated
- there are no broken tiles
- valleys and gutters are free of leaf litter and debris
We recently attended a home in Benowa to carry out some tile repair works, as in recent storm activity the roof had been leaking, causing significant internal ceiling damage. We undertook the following works:
- replacing 6x broken Monier 100 patterned tiles
- reinstalling a poorly installed whirlybird
- disconnecting the tile clips in the affected area, to also prevent them from leaking
- removing poorly installed Valley seal and installing new
- repointed all ridge capping as the existing mortar had deteriorated
You can see some of our progress and works below:
You can see on this roof, that the tiles had been previously painted and it is peeling away. This can be a cause of a roof leak - peeling paint. The paint can flake and cause water to trace into the roof cavity, by blocking valleys, gutters and more. We ha also recommended to this owner to have the roof high pressure cleaned to avoid this issue.
If you need some tile roofing advice, contact us today we would be more than happy to provide our qualified opinion.
Recently we completed a roof replacement in Colorbond® 'Jasper' which is brown in colour. The roof was hail dented from the November 2014 hail storm that hit Brisbane and northern Gold Coast areas and this roof was replaced under insurance.
Colorbond® has become a popular option when re-roofing homes. The key benefits for installing it is the materials durability, anti-corrosion properties, and its ability to retain very long-lasting colour.
Here are some photos of the work in progress.
What are your colour options?
Unsure which colour to choose? Here are some things to think about when choosing your roof colour.
To see a portfolio of our works and the range of colours we have installed, click here.
Thinking of installing a Metal roof?
Click the link Here for some information about Colorbond (coloured) anf Zincalume (silver) roof sheeting.
Not sure which colour to choose?
Click the link Here for some information about the colour choices available for your roof sheeting.
If you want to see more of our metal roof replacement works you can view them here.
If you have any questions or would like a no obligation free quote you can contact us on 07 5598 6037 or email us here.
WOW! Storm season is definitely upon us here on the East Coast of Australia. Yesterday the Gold Coast, Ipswich and Brisbane were hit with hail, winds and rain. It is important in this kind of weather, that your roof is storm and weather proof!
You can read more about how to storm proof your roof here and how to prepare your roof for the storm season.
After the wild weather last night, we had a call from a customer who had several roof leaks overnight.
The roof requires urgent repairs as it is currently leaking and is not currently watertight. The reasoning is:
1. There is leaf litter and buildup in the valleys and gutters which is forcing water to backflow up under the roof tiles and into the roof cavity.
2. Broken tiles and cracks in ridge capping mortar are allowing water entry into the roof cavity.
3. Valley tiles have becomes dislodged and have slipped into the valley iron, the water cannot flow down the valley towards the gutter, then backflowing into the roof cavity.
The solution to fix these issues and what we recommended to the customer:
- Remove and replace approximately 12 broken Clark roof tiles
- Re-bed ridge caps where required to be able to repoint ridge caps
- Re-point all ridge caps, approximately 65Lm, using Shieldcoat flexible pointing mortar (10 year product guarantee)
- Re-fit slipped valley tiles and fit valley clips to prevent tiles slipping in the future.
- Clean out all valleys and guttering free of leaf debris and buildup
You can see that these issues can cause major roof havoc and water issues. The repair cost is minimal compared to what the cost of water damage and the bill to replace internal plaster, and electrical wiring could be if damaged. Your roof is your homes most important asset. Ensure it is watertight to protect you, your family and belongings!
If you have a water leak, get your roof inspected now - before its too late and water damage to your home occurs! Speak to us today, if you would like a free roof inspection and advice on whats best for your home.
We recently replaced a house roof with Colorbond's 'Monument' corrugated roof sheeting. The roof had been hail damaged and hail dents were obvious on the roof sheets. You can read about the effects of hail on Colorbond roofing here.
As part of the roof replacement works, we:
- Setup safety scaffolding to ensure WHS practices were followed
- Removed all roof sheets, flashings and cappings
- Installed new roof sheets, flashings, cappings, screws, dektites and fixings
- New anticon sarking was installed which acts as a barrier in your roof cavity for moisture and acts like insulation
- New skylights were also installed
- two whirly birds were installed to assist with ventilation
If you wanted to read more about the use of Colorbond and Zincalume as a roofing product, click here. You can read about the benefits and the products advantages here. If you have been thinking about replacing your roof, or even a shed roof or extension why not contact us for a free no obligation quote? We would be happy to assist you in advising the best roofing product as well as colour for your project.
This home at Bundall is at a point where it is 15+ years and required roof maintenance. There were a few issues that were causing a roof leaks and therefore we carried out the following roof repairs on this property to rectify it:
- Removed mortar and valley tiles from the valley iron, as they were causing water to backflow into the roof cavity under the tiles
- Removed all valley tiles and replaced 2 x valley irons over affected area. The existing valley irons were rusted and would have been letting water into the roof cavity
- Supplied and installed valley seal to 2 x valley irons, to stop any water being able to enter the roof cavity in heavy rain. It acts as another deterrant.
- Removed and replaced 12 x broken tiles that were cracked across the roof. These can cause water to enter the roof cavity, even if it is only a chipped tile or a small hairline fracture.
- Repointed approx 20Lm of ridge capping, as the existing mortar was cracked and crumbling in some areas.
- Removed tile clips above an affected area, where the existing clips were leaking
- Drilled weep holes into mortar of ridge capping, this allows moisture to exit the roof cavity
The photos below show the works undertaken and the jobs progress.
If you have a leaking tile roof, are unsure of the cause or think it might be roof related contact us today. We offer a no obligation free quote from Byron Bay to the Northern Gold Coast. Either phone us on 07 5598 6037 or fill out our quote request form
Today we installed a aluminium whirly bird to a tiled roof at Burleigh Waters.
Coming into summer and the warmer months, we have been installing a lot of whirly birds to customers homes. You can read more about whirly birds and their benefits here - basically their benefit in summer is they remove hot air from the roof cavity, saving you money on electricity bills from air conditioning costs and making your home more comfortable and bearable!
For this home we installed a Edmonds Windmaster whirly bird in a mill aluminium finish. You can view the full colour range here.
Whirly birds come in a wide range of colours and suit both tile and metal roofs - so there is the perfect whirly bird for each roof. If you want to discuss your roof and the possible need for whirly birds, contact us on (07) 5598 6037.
cHANGING BROKEN TILES AND REPOINTING RIDGE CAPS
We have just completed a job at Pacific Pines at the northern end of the Gold Coast. The roof was in poor condition, with badly broken roof tiles and cracked ridge capping mortar. There was ceiling water damage in some areas under the broken tiles and badly cracked ridge capping mortar. The valley tiles also had slipped in some areas, meaning that there is gaps between the tiles that allows water entry into the roof cavity.
We carried out the following repairs to this roof to fix its leaking issues:
- Removed and replaced approx 25 x broken roof tiles. The broken tiles are removed from the roof, then all the new tiles are placed in the bottom row of the roof so that they are not visible from the ground. If we were to remove the broken tile and then replace it with the new tile you would have noticeably different tiles scattered across the roof. We do our best to colour match the tile to close as possible, however tiles change and some colours are phased out and no longer manufactured. This is the best possible solution aesthetically.
- Rebed approx 20Lm of ridge capping (using a sand and cement mortar)
- Repointed all ridge caps approx 170 in total, using Shieldcoat flexible pointing mortar (10 year product guarantee)
- Refit slipped valley tiles and supplied and installed valley clips
The roof is now watertight and will be maintenance free for up to 10 years+. We recommend you have your roof inspected every ten years to keep on top of maintenance issues. You can read more about tile roof repairs here that we have recently undertaken.
Have a roof issue that needs repairing? We travel from Byron Bay to the northern Gold Coast and all areas in between. Call us today on 07 5598 6037 or contact us via our online enquiry form.
We recently had a customer who had a leaking tile roof. They had sarking in the roof, however is was original from the homes construction and had worn over the years. It was torn and shredded in some sections, allowing the water to get into the ceiling.
How was the water entering the ceiling you might ask?
Through leaking tile clips.
The tile clips originally used to secure the tiles were an older style Monier tile clip that are notorious for leaking and causing this issue.
How did the customer know there was a roofing issue?
There was scattered water stains and mould patches throughout the ceilings of the home. This is an obvious sign that the tile clips are the cause.
This is how we rectified the issue:
- Removed all roof tiles and roof clips
- Removed all timber battens
- Supplied and installed heavy duty Rhino sarking
- Reinstalled original battens
- Reinstalled original roof tiles and new tile clips
- Rebed all ridge capping
- Repointed all ridge capping with flexible pointing
- Water tested to ensure no further water leaks
Installing heavy duty roof sarking to the roof cavity is great for added protection from the elements and reducing moisture in the roof cavity. It was a great result and we were happy to resolve this issue for the customer. They can now finally fix up the internal damage the water damage has caused over the years - replastering and painting their ceilings.
The customer also wanted to update the colour of the roof and chose Shieldcoat 'Roof Red' to update it with. We have used Shieldcoat roofing paints for over 7 years and and never returned to a job for poor prodcut quality. They are an Australian based paint manufacturer and their product is built for Australian conditions and climate. We high pressure cleaned and painted the roof during this process.
This waterfront home in Tweeds Heads NSW now has a water tight roof that will give the customer many years of reassurance. It is now as good as new!
replacing a hail damaged metal roof
Last week we completed a full roof replacement at a beautiful property in the Gold Coast Hinterland - it was located at Guanaba. This roof had been badly hail damaged in the November 2013 hail storm that hit the Gold Coast and the Hinterland areas. The roof and gutter guard had hail dents and had taken the roofs coating off in some areas.
Here are the before photos of the hails damage to the roof.
As part of the roof replacement works, we carried out the following:
- Setup safety scaffolding to ensure WHS practices were followed
- Removed all roof sheets, flashings, cappings and gutter guard
- Installed new roof sheets, flashings, cappings, gutter guard, screws and fixings
Here are the progress and after photos of the roof replacement works.