Thursday the 27th November is another date to add to Brisbane's history - one of the worst storms in decades hit the city with force!
Brisbane has been left bruised and battered after the supercell swept across the city, packing wind gusts of up to 140km/h that drove hail the size of golf and tennis balls through roofs, windows and car windshields.
The winds - equivalent to a Category 2 cyclone - peeled roofs from homes and businesses, and toppled huge trees and powerlines across the city. Parts of Brisbane received a month's rainfall in less then 30 minutes.
Insurance companies are processing more than $27 million dollars worth of initial damage claims after the supercell storm that tore through Brisbane. It is estimated the final bill from Thursday's storm could top $100 million.
It is the worst hail and storm damage Master Roofing has seen - some of the hail dents left were the size of a softball - bigger than a cricket ball as reported!! The extent of the damage is unbelievable, with house after house missing sections of roof sheeting and roof tiles. Driving through the CBD yesterday evening, an old church still stood however every third roof tile had blown out of its location and were scattered across the roof. The beautiful stain glass windows were all shattered and broken. It truly is a saddening site seeing the extent of damage to some of Brisbane's historical and heritage listed buildings.
Our team has spent the last 48 hours working from daylight to dark to help restore safety to peoples homes. We have been attempting to make them watertight as a temporary fix until their insurance claims are processed. We have been tarping up roofs, sealing broken roof tiles, sealing whirly birds and shattered skylights with tarps and fixing new roof screws to loose roof sheets. Our aim in doing these works is to provide temporary means - to make the roof watertight and safe for those living under it. Our team has been fantastic achieving this and we have already been to over 50+ homes in the last few days, a great achievement. With so many homes still riddled with damage and issues, it is going to be a long clean up and process. We estimate that we will be spending the next six months at least working through this storm insurance work, restoring roofs to their former condition - both metal and tile.
If you need any roofing assistance, or are unsure if there is damage to your roof and its extent - contact us today we are able to assist you with your insurance roofing needs.
If you would like to see more photos of the storm and extent of the damame - visit our facebook page under 'photos and albums'.
WOW! Storm season is definitely upon us here on the East Coast of Australia. Yesterday the Gold Coast, Ipswich and Brisbane were hit with hail, winds and rain. It is important in this kind of weather, that your roof is storm and weather proof!
You can read more about how to storm proof your roof here and how to prepare your roof for the storm season.
After the wild weather last night, we had a call from a customer who had several roof leaks overnight.
The roof requires urgent repairs as it is currently leaking and is not currently watertight. The reasoning is:
1. There is leaf litter and buildup in the valleys and gutters which is forcing water to backflow up under the roof tiles and into the roof cavity.
2. Broken tiles and cracks in ridge capping mortar are allowing water entry into the roof cavity.
3. Valley tiles have becomes dislodged and have slipped into the valley iron, the water cannot flow down the valley towards the gutter, then backflowing into the roof cavity.
The solution to fix these issues and what we recommended to the customer:
- Remove and replace approximately 12 broken Clark roof tiles
- Re-bed ridge caps where required to be able to repoint ridge caps
- Re-point all ridge caps, approximately 65Lm, using Shieldcoat flexible pointing mortar (10 year product guarantee)
- Re-fit slipped valley tiles and fit valley clips to prevent tiles slipping in the future.
- Clean out all valleys and guttering free of leaf debris and buildup
You can see that these issues can cause major roof havoc and water issues. The repair cost is minimal compared to what the cost of water damage and the bill to replace internal plaster, and electrical wiring could be if damaged. Your roof is your homes most important asset. Ensure it is watertight to protect you, your family and belongings!
If you have a water leak, get your roof inspected now - before its too late and water damage to your home occurs! Speak to us today, if you would like a free roof inspection and advice on whats best for your home.
We recently replaced a house roof with Colorbond's 'Monument' corrugated roof sheeting. The roof had been hail damaged and hail dents were obvious on the roof sheets. You can read about the effects of hail on Colorbond roofing here.
As part of the roof replacement works, we:
- Setup safety scaffolding to ensure WHS practices were followed
- Removed all roof sheets, flashings and cappings
- Installed new roof sheets, flashings, cappings, screws, dektites and fixings
- New anticon sarking was installed which acts as a barrier in your roof cavity for moisture and acts like insulation
- New skylights were also installed
- two whirly birds were installed to assist with ventilation
If you wanted to read more about the use of Colorbond and Zincalume as a roofing product, click here. You can read about the benefits and the products advantages here. If you have been thinking about replacing your roof, or even a shed roof or extension why not contact us for a free no obligation quote? We would be happy to assist you in advising the best roofing product as well as colour for your project.